To contact the webmaster, Eric Wisor click here

Main Page
History of the 22nd

Link Buttons
Wolves Den Productions
What can I say, I'm a sell out


Regimental Commanders of the 22nd

Colonel Christopher Q. Thompkins - Led the 22nd Virginia until his departure in 1861 due to his inability to work with General Floyd.

Major Isaac Smith - Led the 22nd briefly until his capture by General Jacob Cox.

Lt. Colonel William Jackson - Led the 22nd briefly until reorganization of the unit led to his removal.

Lt. Colonel Andrew Barbee - Led the 22nd until he was wounded at Scary Creek on September 17th, 1861. Col. Barbee refused to serve under Col. Jackson. Upon Jackson's removal Barbee was made a Lt. Col.

Colonel George Smith Patton - George Patton was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia on June 26th, 1833. He entered the Virginia Military Institute in 1849 and graduated in 1852. Patton spent two years of teaching in Richmond and also studied law. There he and his family moved to Charleston, (West) Virginia in 1856, where he formed a law partnership with Thomas Buroun. George Patton also served as commissioner in Chancery to the Kanawha Circuit Court and also the Kanawha County Court. George Patton formed a militia company in 1856 called the Kanawha Minutemen. There he was designated as captain of the unit. Upon the outbreak of the Civil War, Patton enlisted in the Confederate Army on May 8th, 1861 as Captain of Company H. Then on June 7 he was commissioned as Lt. Colonel of the regiment. At the battle of Scary Creek July 17th 1861, he led the Confederates to a victory. Being severely wounded in the left shoulder he was left at Charleston, (West) Virginia as an exchanged prisoner. Patton did not return to the 22nd Virginia until April of 1862. After his release one month later he was wounded at Giles Court House May 10th of 1862 and again exchanged as a prisoner the 25th of May. Upon his return he was commissioned Colonel of the 22nd Virginia. Colonel Patton often commanded General Echols Brigade due to the Generals' often illness and absence throughout 1863 and 1864. The 22nd Virginia's high tide of the war was the Battle of Droop Mountain, West Virginia on November 6, 1863. The Army of the Ohio would almost wipe out the 22nd Virginia. As the 22nd Virginia recovered it's loss, General Lee called on the Army of South Western Virginia early in the spring to help clear the Federals out of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. The battle of New Market (May 15th, 1864) would be the biggest victory that the 22nd Virginia would participate in. Patton would lead his men in Cold Harbor, Virginia and also take part of General Jubal Early's Raid on Washington (DC). During the third battle of Winchester, Virginia Colonel Patton was wounded and taken prisoner. The wound from his leg would take his life on September 25,1864 because he would not have his leg amputated, Patton was only 32 years of age. Colonel George Patton is buried at the Stonewall Cemetery in Winchester, Virginia. The marker states " here asleep in one grave, the Patton brothers". Colonel George Patton is buried with his brother W. Tazwell Patton who was killed at the battle of Gettysburg July 3rd, 1863.

Lt. Colonel John McDonald - Took command after Col. Patton's death until the end of the war. Other officers associated with the 22nd Virginia Infantry

General John McCausland - Commander of our brigade until Henry Heth became overall commander.

Major Robert A. Bailey - Led segments of the 22nd during various battles.

Captain Henry Dickinson - Listed as being in command of the 22nd Virginia Infantry on September 30, 1864 until he was wounded in the Battle of Cedar Creek October 19, 1864.

Captain James C. Johns - Listed as in command of the 22nd Virginia Infantry on October 31, 1864, however this was while Lt. Colonel McDonald was commanding.

Captain James Cook - Company G, listed as in command of the 22nd Virginia until he resigned at Staunton, Virginia in late 1864.

Captain Montraville P. Roach - Led the 22nd Virginia Company G until he surrendered on May 9, 1865.